skip to content

Human, Social, and Political Sciences - HSPS Tripos


There are a range of resources available to help you if you run into difficulties during your degree.

On this page, you can find information about Welfare Advocates, University Services, and additional resources to help you manage your mental health and emotional wellbeing.

COVID-19 Notice: Please see the university stay safe cambridge and student wellbeing website for specific wellbeing advice for safeguarding your mental and physical health during the coronavirus pandemic.

Finding Support

Ordinarily, the first person you should talk to if you run into difficulties is your College Tutor. They are responsible for your welfare in Cambridge and will have experience in dealing with a wide range of issues. They will listen, advise, and signpost you towards targeted support if necessary. Depending on the nature of the issue, undergraduate students may also (or instead) want to reach out to their Director of Studies, and postgraduate students can contact their academic supervisor.

In addition, each department in the HSPS Tripos has a designated Welfare Advocate that students can contact for assistance.

University Services

Counselling Service

The University Counselling Service provides free counselling for students and employees of the University. For advice or to make an appointment contact them on 01223 332865 or Their team includes counsellors, two specialist Mental Health Advisors and a Sexual Assault and Harassment Advisor

Advice Service

The Student Advice Service offers free, confidential and independent support to all Cambridge University students. Their trained advisors can provide assistance on:

You can contact the Student Advice Service on 01223 746999 or

Disability Resource Centre - As of 1st October 2022 - will be known as the Accessibility & Disability Resource Centre (ADRC)

The Disability Resource Centre provides information, advice and support for disabled students and employees of the University, including running events for incoming students with particular disabilities. They can be contacted on 01223 332301 or

University Wellbeing Website

The University Student Wellbeing website contains a wide range of information about support for particular issues that can affect students ability to conduct their studies. There are also useful signposts to pastoral support from Colleges and university services, as well as services provided by the NHS.

Student Complaints

Where a student is dissatisfied with any provision, action or inaction by the University, students are able to raise a complaint.

Part I Part II

Part I students are expected to initially raise a complaint with:

Part II students are expected to initially raise a complaint at the Department(s) in which you are studying, contact emails below:

Where the matter is serious or where students remain dissatisfied, a complaint can be raised with the central University. Complaints need to be raised in a timely way and within 28 days to ensure an effective remedy can be put in place. The University complaints procedure is detailed on their website and involves filing a formal complaint.